Saturday 28 May 2011

Researching the scene - part 1

After I had researched the chapter "advice froma caterpillar" to find out what was included in the scene. I used the information I had found and I decided to make a mind map of things that were in the scene.


I found that I needed several props including a big mushroom and a hookah pipe and also flowers and blades of grass. I decided to make some moodboards for all of the things I needed for the scene.

FLOWERS

As the story did not say exactly what kind of flower it was just that there were many of them I made a moodboard of several different types of flowers to help inspire my ideas. I also kept in mind my older target audience for my project which was teenagers and adults. So that I could make my decisions accordingly as I thought that some types of flower may not be appropriate for them because of the way they looked, for example some may be too fancy or lack the detail that I thought my target audience would appreciate.I also thought about what the look and colour of the flowers would communicate visually to my target audience.


I looked at several flowers, and then I though about the rest of the scene. What kind of flowers would grow around long grass and a mushroom? nothing that would be grown in a garden. As I wanted my scene to look realistic as I thought an older audience would appreciate this.
I made a decision that the kind of flowers in the scene would most likely be weeds so I made another moodboard on weed flowers to help inspire my development of the flowers.


I felt that some kinds of flowers such as the buttercups may be a little to simple for my scene and may not meet the audience needs. And the rose i felt may be too complicated and would be inconsistence with my other prop designs.
After making this moodboard I particularly liked the dandelion, as I felt it looked bright and the high amount of petals made it look interesting, appealing and most importantly appropriate for the audience. I felt that a dandelion had the right amount of detail to be realistic enough for my scene without overdoing it. I felt this particular flower would communicate realism in my scene.


I made a moodboard on dandlions to help me think about how I could make a flower like this.

THE GRASS

In the text of the book it described blades of grass, Alice had been shrunk in this scene so the grass needed to be pretty large. I made a mood board on grass to help me think about an appropriate style of the grass for my scene.


I decided to produce a few rough sketches on based on the moodboard how I would like the grass to look in my scene so that I could

No comments:

Post a Comment