Sunday 29 May 2011

mushroom experiments - underneath

After making the top of the mushroom I decided to experiment with different materials for the bottom of the mushrrom to discover how suitable the material would be for my intended outcomes and to find out what techniques and processes could be used to achieve different outcomes.

I made a moodboard of pictures of the underside of mushrooms to help with my experiments.




after looking at these picture i made a mindmap on what i wanted for the underside of the mushroom.


materials and techniques experimented with

Different painting techniques
black tape
foam
string painted


here are the experiments for the underside of my mushroom.

different painting techiques

I experimented with different painting techniques for the underside of my mushroom.
such as using a dry brush, a brush with thick paint and painting blobs of paint with the brush.

using a dry brush


Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the painting technique in this experiment does not visually communicate realism to the underside of the mushroom and will not be suitable for my target audience. An underside of a mushroom tends to be neat and this painting technique is different every time so you can never guarantee what it will look like. Because of this this technique will not be apprpriate for the underside of my mushroom.

using a brush with large amounts of paint.


Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the use of paint in this experiment allows me to add texture with the paint so could visually communicates that the mushroom is real. Unfortunatly using thick amount of paint on a brush makes it so that the brushstrokes are not always accurate and for the mushrrom they need to be because of this i do not think this technique will be appropriate for the underside of my mushroom.

brush with blobs of paint


Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the use of paint in this experiment does not communicate visually how the underside of a mushroom should look it is not appropriate for the mushroom because the target audience will not appreciate it. I will not be using his method to add texture to the underside of my mushroom.

material experimaents for underside of mushroom

Painted string


Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen painted string to experiment with because It already has texture to it so it will be easy to make texture with. it is a strong material that does not break easily so i will not have to worry about it breaking.

Potential and limitations of material

String can be glued down straight or bendy and is quite flexible it can also be cut to any length. some string however is quite heavy and because it would be on the underside of my mushroom it may fall off if the glue is not strong enough. i do not want my models to fall apart whilst i am animating.

Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the use of string in this experiment will help to visually communicate the realism i desire in the mushroom model but i think that the limitations of it may make it unappropriate because of its positioning on the mushroom. I also think there are much more suitable methods of making the underside of the mushroom so i will continue to experimentso that i can select an appropriate material.

foam


Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen foam to experiment with foam because I think it will be good for making a realistic mushroom underside because of the thickness of it. i think that if the material is layered togeter it will look realustic enough to be suited to my target audience.I think that black foam will be good to use because it is already a dark enough colour to look like the underside of a mushroom and will not need to be painted.

Potential and limitations of material

foam is perfect for making texture on an object because it is thick durable and will stay in postion providing that the correct amount of glue is applied. It can be cut to the shape that I want for the underside of my mushroom. it will have to be cut precisley because bending this material is not an option as it will spring back into place.

Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the use of foam in this experiment visually communicates that the underside of the mushroom is real because of the appearence of the material.I think that putiing the material in rows like in the image above will help communicate to the viewer that the underside of the mushroom is real and will be appreciated by he target audience because of how effective it looks. i think this method is very appropriate for the real effect that i want to achieve with the undrside of the mushroom.

Black tape.


Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen black tape to experiment with because I think it will be good for making a realistic looking mushroom underside due to the fact that it is thin, sticks without glue. I think that black tape is good to use because it can be stuck to surface to give the appearance of texture texture

Potential and limitations of material

black tape is perfect for making thin layers of colour to an object but may not be suitable for a lot of texture as it sticks to itself and will only stick to smooth surfaces. the underside of the mushroom is not smooth so it may not stick to it and look untidy and messy.

Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that the use of black tape in this experiment could visually communicates my intended look for the mushrrom but because of the problems with it sticking to the rough surface unfortunatley it will not be an approprate material to use for my mushrrom underside.

No comments:

Post a Comment