Saturday 28 May 2011

experiments- flowers

FLOWERS

After deciding on the type of flower I was going to make I decided to experiment with different materials to discover how suitable the material would be for my intended outcomes and to find out what techniques and processes could be used to achieve different outcomes.

materials used

plastic
felt
paper mache
tissue paper
feathers
cotton


Here are some images of my experiments.

Paper mache


I used coloured tissue for the paper mache and added acryllic paint and feathers to this experiment to add detail.

Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen paper mache to experiment with because I think they will be good for making a realistic looking flower, I think that paper mache is good to use because it can be made into any shape and drys hard so it is stronger than other materials. I think it will make a good flower.

Potential and limitations of material

Paper mache is perfect for making things that need to be solid because of how the material drys hard however it may not be suitable for making moveable objects because it will be rigid and lack flexibility.

Visual communication and appropriateness

I think that this experiment visually communicates the sense of realism that will be appreciated by my target audience think that using several shades of colour has helped to achieve this. I think that this experiment may not be appropriate for the the flower in the scene because the paper mache has made it hard and it may appear stiff and not seem realistic when the character moves or touches it in the animation.

Felt


Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen felt to experiment with because It comes in a wide range of colours.
I think that felt is good to use because it can be easily cut into different shapes, and cut to give the effect of petals.

Potential and limitations of material

Felt is perfect for making things that need to be soft or colourful because that is how the material is naturally, however it is quite thick and may not be suitable for making realistic objects that require fine detail because of this thickness.

Visual communication and appropriatness
I think that the material that this flower is made out of does not communicate visually that this flower is real, i think that the colour is overly bright and may not be appreciate by the older audience that my project is aimed at. I do not think that this experiment will be suitable for my final flower as it lacks detail and looks too artificial.


Plastic


For this experiment I have cut a yellow bin liner into circles and trimmed round the edge with scissors to add petal detail. Then layered several plastic circles on top of each other. I have used black paper to make the centre detail.


For this experiment I have done the same as above exept I have used only 2 layers of plastic.


For this plastic experiment I have made a sort of pom pom using strips of yellow plastic cut from a bin liner. To make it made two cardboard rings one on top of the other and threaded the plastic strips in and around the hole. Then I pulled the cardboard apart and cut the plastic inbetween the rings and tied the middle with another strip of plastic to make this flower.

Quality and suitability of material

I have chosen Plastic to experiment with because It is flexible,comes in a wide range of colours,thicknesses, stretches and can be tied.I think that plastic is a good material to use because it is so versatile and can be easily cut is thin enough to make fine detail

Potential and limitations of material

Plastic is perfect for making things that need to be flexible because it is flexible. This particular plastic may not be good however for making objects that need to be solid as it moves easily, depending on thickness.

visual communication and approppriatemess

These plastic flowers do not communicate visually that they are real, the most real is the third example but the single colour used just makes them look unnatural, the shine on the plastic also shows the fakeness.
This example is not appropriate for my audience of teenagers and adults as it is too fake for them they would just see it as a load of cut up plastic, which is what it is.

most suitable technique.
I did not feel that any of these techniques worked I am going to look at flowers from a professonal stop motion scene to see what works for them so I can make a decision about the flowers.
I will do this in a future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment